Pages

December 19, 2013

Lime Crêpe Cake (with White Chocolate Pastry Cream) GF

Ah, Kristen! As if I didn’t have enough sugar being thrown around my kitchen already… Smile with tongue out Despite the busy-ness of the season, it is fun to participate in the Challenge! Lime & White Chocolate are quite the festive combo – anyway.747599601040_1After a recipe for crêpe cake caught my eye, I decided to make one that was gluten free. And lime. With some creamy white chocolateness slathered between the layers.ejcrêpe
I wanted to try a new process for pastry cream that I’d been reading about. (I figured if it “lumped” too much, I could always blend it smooth with my Cuisinart® Smart Stick, right?)
I mixed all the pastry cream ingredients {{gasp}} except for the butter & chocolate pieces into the saucepan.ejcrêpe I whisked until all was smooth; then heated & whisked until the mixture thickened. ejcrêpeRemoving from the heat, I stirred in the butter & chocolate. Total delicious smoothness! Not a lump to be sieved out before cooling!ejcrêpeI had to make a special trip all the way outdoors to our Mexican Lime in the back yard. I had worried that our little freeze last week might have damaged some of the year-round fruit and/or blossoms. But everything appeared to be well.ejcrêpeI blended all the crêpe ingredients and then let the mixture set in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. In the meantime I had my tallest son retrieve my vintage M’sieur Crêpe (first revealed here) from the upper cabinet.ejcrêpeI set up my work station and got busy! ejcrêpeHad a bit of trouble with the pan releasing the crêpes without cracking. Sad smileejcrêpeNevertheless, I stacked them on a plate with about two tablespoons of the white chocolate cream between. It was then that I found (in the cooled pastry cream) that I hadn’t either a) chopped the chocolate fine enough, or b) thoroughly whisked the chocolate enough before cream cooled. (I have a feeling the answer is c) both of the above!) Ah well – it tasted lovely!ejcrêpeAs I placed the final crêpe atop the stack, I decided to make a ganache to finish it all off. Here I ran into two problems: 1) I had no more white chocolate, and 2) I wished to impart a little lime flavor to the topping. How I solved my problems also became a bit of a problem: I 1) decided to use white chips instead of chocolate, & 2) decided to use lime juice to try to cut said chips awful sweetness.DSCN9360I also elected not to go to the bother of retrieving my double-boiler from the bottom of the back of the corner cupboard. I gently heated the half & half in a saucepan over a low burner. The chips blended tolerably, but certainly tried to seize as I mixed in the fresh lime juice.ejcrêpeHere is the recipe:ejcrêperecipe
What matters to my guys, ultimately, is how does it taste?ejcrêpeThey really could care less how beautiful, or otherwise, a dessert looks.ejcrêpeCheck out the links below for some more lime & white chocolate recipes:





3 comments:

  1. Yum, this sounds absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing your gluten free entries every month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stretch my GF cooking abilities to think waaaay beyond what I'd ever knew was possible. This looks amazing--and the little crack just gives more room for cream. Oh, how I wish we were neighbors. Save me a piece!!!

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?