Pages

August 16, 2012

Chipotlé Pineapple-Mango Salsa

The delicious ingredients chosen by Kristen for this month's Improv Cooking Challenge were TOMATOES & PEPPERS.  Because we were informed of these months in advance, I had intended to pick them fresh from my garden. Alas, despite faithful watering, those plants did not survive the onslaught of sun's rays this summer.

Soooooooo -- I set off to Sprouts to harvest the crops...


Here's my disclaimer: 
I believe salsa recipes reflect a family's taste preferences & is quite a personal thing. What we look for & like in a salsa might not necessarily be what you want to taste. For exampe - cilantro. Not a big fan! But, since we do like a certain aspect of how it's flavor marries with others,  I use a bit of it.

Here are the general proportions I used. Please adjust to your personal taste:

  • 1 mango (next time I'll use two given the taste imbalance between that & the onion...)
  • 1 pineapple
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 medium tomatoes
  • 1 - 2 Tablespoons chipotlé peppers & 1 Tablespoon of the adobo sauce (I remove the seeds before I chopped the peppers -- you might like it spicier...)
  • cilantro (I used about 10 stems)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 2 or 3 cloves garlic 
How finely you chop the ingredients is up to you, as well. I chopped everything by hand, but then pulsed it a couple times in the food processor after it was all mixed.

I served it with some chipotlé/garlic/lime-marinated shrimp on corn tortillas. 
Must-have add-ins would include some avocado & black beans. (Sour cream or Asadero, if you're going dairy...)


I tasted the salsa again this morning with some chips & the red onion flavor had gone down a little, but the garlic increased (just the way I like it!)
I mixed it in with a bit of leftover quinoa, chipotlé shrimp & avocado -- YUM!

**************************************************************************

Found out something new today: most cans of Chipotlé in Adobo contain wheat! -- Always check the label! (Fortunately, I found a brand at Winco that doesn't have it...)





17 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! The only fruit salsa I've tried to make so far is peach, but this looks outstanding! I might have to give this one a try, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do.it!
      We've purchased & consumed (rather rapidly) a peach/mango salsa, but I haven't tried making one.

      Delete
  2. I just love the rich and smoky heat of chipotles in salsa and just like you sometimes I mix it in quinoa or rice salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike with chipotle! And I've been on a mango kick lately too, so this sounds really great. So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a fresh salsa! I love that you used so many different fruits as well as vegetables. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I love mango salsa, and the addition of pineapple sounds so intriguing!! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this is definitely on my list of Must Makes, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing salsa! What a great way to combine tomatoes and peppers!

    Visiting from the Improv Cooking Challenge (#21 - Green Chile Pepper and Tomato Soup)

    Pinned!

    Amber @ The Cook's Sister

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, boy, does your salsa look incredible...as do your shrimp tacos! Wow...I wish I had this for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! My favorite kind of salsa.. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one amazingly delicious sounding salsa, and with your disclaimer, me the cilantro lover would add a bit more...I can never leave a recipe as written. Great way to use the required ingredients.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Improv Cooking Challenge entry: French Fries Hash Browns.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friend that makes a similar salsa with peaches. I bet mango instead of peaches is good too. Her recipe doesn't have pineapple though or chipotle peppers. Fresh pineapple would add a tasty dimension to the salsa.

    ICC #8

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks absolutely delicious! Mango Salsa is just one of many things I've enjoyed while here in Florida. Now I can make my own! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a salsa with sweet and tart and salty and spicy flavors! I am imagining the smokey peppers with the sweet mango and pineapple and I am drooling. It's crazy-overloaded mango season in Cairo and the stores are practically giving them away, so will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This salsa is just as tasty with fresh jalapeño if you don't have access to chipotlé. I love mango, too!

      Delete
  14. So glad you mentioned the adobo having wheat. Gluten sneaks into so many of my favorite foods. Your salsa sounds marvelous I love the spicy/sweet blend you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my "go-to" Mexican & Asian sauces potentially have it. I'm compiling a list of commercial ones that are safe. (And a list of ones I have to learn to replicate if I can't find gluten-free... )

      Delete

So...
What do you think?