Pages

June 8, 2012

Honey Lime Cheesecake

Trying to go gluten free and stay away from processed sugars can be tough on a girl. It's tough on a baker & it's downright torture for a carboholic! 
Sooo -- I had a couple cups of lime juice I needed to use up & decided to create a honey lime cheesecake. (Did I ever mention Key Lime Pie is the hubs' most favorite dessert?)
Well, I'm not a huge fan of "Key Lime" recipes made with sweetened condensed milk. Because to me they taste mostly like -- hmmmmmmm -- sweetened condensed milk. 
(ummmm -- 2T serving size & that many grams of sugar?)
Also not a fan of the limeade concentrate in some "no-bake" recipes.
(Please take note of the fact that this is only 14% lime juice. Wanna guess what's in the rest of the can?)
There's gotta be a better way to make a delicious dessert using basic flavors, right? I perused my old-faithful "go-to" book. (It was a gift from my aunt in 1985.)
I found this recipe for a cheesecake made with honey instead of sugar.
It took very little tweaking to meet my demands. Here's what I did:


Into the food processor I put 24 oz. softened cream cheese. Processed until smooth then added 1/2 c. fresh lime juice and 1/2 c. honey. Again I processed until it was smoothly blended then I dumped in 3 eggs -- one at a time. That.is.all.
Heat oven to 300°. Pour mixture into pre-baked crust. Bake for 60 minutes or until done.
Unmold.
Eat.
Add sweetened berries if it is too tart for you. (Could also drizzle with honey as the recipe book suggested...)
This is how the guys ate it; but I loved it just the way it was without the extra sweet! After being sweet-deprived, it tasted soooooo naughty. (I might or might not have eaten a piece for breakfast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...
What do you think?