Pages

October 2, 2011

John Dough

My middle son loves him some bread! He is quite the connoisseur when it comes to artisan loaves.  He has begun to inform me of some menu ideas...


So, with our busy lives, I've come to the conclusion that if I wrap a meal in dough, it will be eaten. Quickly.  With the added bonus that it can be hand-carried & eaten in the car on the way, if need be.


Three examples of such:

  1. Hot dogs - so boring! (Especially the chicken/turkey ones we've been buying lately...) Cut them in half & wrap them in a dough flavored with mustard & dried onions; you've achieved gourmet status when you dip that in a pool of ketchup!
  2. Chili - Once a week I fix a big crock of black beans. Once a week I refrigerate the leftovers. Once a week I brown some hamburger, onions & garlic; toss in some canned tomatoes, douse it with chipotle & mix in the beans. Sometimes there are leftovers to be used with nachos -- but not this week!  I divided a batch of dough between a dozen muffin cups & made a large indention to fill with chili prior to baking.  (Breadman ate three, I believe...)
  3. Chicken & spinach - if you remember our dish from here, you'll recall the fam devours this on a regular basis.  I can cram  um hide  no get rid of well, serve a couple pounds of spinach with a couple chicken breasts & pasta.  Struck mom-hood gold with this last week:
mmmmmm -- what could be inside that gorgeous crust?
No way! Not our chicken & spinach!?!
omit pasta & insert cream cheese... yum!




Directions:
  • Sautée chicken, onion & spinach as pictured here.
  • Make (or thaw :D) one batch of bread dough
  • Divide dough in half. Spread bottom on pizza stone.
  • Top with chunks of cream cheese, spinach mixture & generous amount of parmesan.
  • Roll out top crust & place on pie. crimp edges to seal. Slit crust for steam.
  • Bake at 425° until browned (about 30-35 minutes)
  • Devour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...
What do you think?