Pages

May 5, 2011

My momma was frugal before frugal was cool!

Being resourceful & "green" is her way of life and not simply a fad or something to fill-up some blog space.

She was born in the hills of Kentucky to parents who ministered to coal mining communities.  Being thrifty was the only way to survive there in the late 1930s. When she was a freshman in high school the family moved to Phoenix for my grandma's health.


She met my dad in college.
They married & moved to a tiny town in Arkansas where my father pastored a small church while finishing his degree in Siloam Springs. Three of us were born in the little "hospital" there.


When I was two, our family relocated to Phoenix where my dad became an Christian school administrator and my mom began her teaching career that spanned at least three decades and five or so schools.

As a teacher, as a wife, as a parent I look back at what she accomplished, and am in awe of the hundreds of lives she impacted. During all of this time she suffered with severe back pain & a couple resultant surgeries.

Our lives followed a seasonal pattern: September to May was for school. June was for the summer camp my grandparents operated. July was for driving to Oklahoma and spending time on my dad's parent's farm. August was for getting ready for school...

With my parent's limited educator's incomes they managed to raise four children who graduated with college degrees. Somehow they provided for private musical instruction for piano & band instruments.
From my mother I learned how to sew, how to cook, how to love & how to parent.
Zach
Alec


Harrison

I'm planning on linking-up all four of my Mother's Day posts with Paisley Jade.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. What an amazing lady - very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?